IX13 - Top 100 International Exchange and Experience Blogs 2013

About Me

My photo
French and Russian undergraduate student, trying my hand at the real world.

Friday 12 October 2012

Now that the mushroom season is over, I have to write about something else

Evening all,

As per the title, I can no longer write about mushrooms, so here is a filler post to console you all. I sincerely hope you all read this with the same dry tone as I use in my head, or I am going to look hella stupid. I guess those of you who actually know me will - that's what I intend anyway. 

SO TO IT.

I pride myself in being the most determinedly pretentious person ever and I believe I outdid even myself this week by sitting in an indie cafe for four hours sipping a double cappuccino writing in my much beloved moleskine notebook. As such, I planned out a few upcoming titles for you all to peruse (or not) at your leisure which will certainly provide more than adequate procrastination material this week. I say procrastination, I have nothing to procrastinate at the moment, except maybe growing up and acting like a responsible adult. 

Hey, I'm not 21 quite yet...

As I sat and made pictures out of the sugar on my table in an artsy, humanities student fashion, I posed myself the question: What is the true symbol of St Petersburg, if it had to be summarised in one object?

People may think of the Bronze Horseman, built in 1782 with the sole intention of winding up the Swedes as much as possible. I disagree, poetic muse though it may be. Pretty sure Pushkin hates me for saying this, I fear he shall now set his birds on me.



In all honesty, I think the true symbol of St Petersburg, in September and October anyway, is the humble umbrella. Hear me out on this one. The weather here is as changeable as the rules in this place - by the day, with the occasional "Sanitary Day" and "Technicheskiy Pererive".
Umbrellas here are completely different from London. They are a complete array of patterns, from autumnal print, cat emblazoned (complete with rhinestones), New York print, kaleidoscope patterned, Japanese style and most commonly (and my own, personal favourite) broken.  The average Londoner has a black foldable number which fits in their briefcase, or better still, uses said briefcase as an umbrella. My favourite variation on this theme was on Tottenham Court road on a rainy day last year where I saw some rather bedraggled gentleman attempting to use his iPad as some kind of ersatz umbrella. I'm yet to work out whether he looked bedraggled before using the iPad or afterwards and whether or not the iPad survived this abusive escapade.

Umbrellas in St Petersburg can arguably be interpreted as a means of outward self-expression, in some cases. There is a culture of chivalry in Russian society and often an otherwise macho looking man will be seen carrying a bright pink/flowery/lace trimmed umbrella, that one can assume belongs to the rather delicate looking girlfriend attached to his arm. Women, otherwise plainly dressed in an ankle length winter jacket, heeled ankle boots and a below-the-knee skirt, are made much more colourful by their choice of umbrella, which often is covered in an array of kaleidoscopic colours. One also sees artsy students with DLSR cameras around their necks sporting a Japanese style frame in all black with a lace trim, gothic lolita style. I was even privy to a blond malchik (little boy) with his umbrella on a strap across his back, Legolas style. Bless the little chap.

Of course, one sees the functional black number sported by the average Londoner, but I wonder if the weather in Petersburg is such that it is felt by more of the general population that one's umbrella should be a point of marvel, rather than simply a means of preserving one's freshly GHD'd hair. 

Personally, I want a multicoloured one - as per Singing in The Rain.





No comments:

Post a Comment