IX13 - Top 100 International Exchange and Experience Blogs 2013

About Me

My photo
French and Russian undergraduate student, trying my hand at the real world.

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Flamenco

Hello chaps,
Today will be a short, more lowbrow post as my philosophical phase has ended for now. I hear a collective sigh of relief.

So I went to what was advertised as a Flamenco show last night - a nice little something different.

I've noticed though in my 2 months of living here that a lot of Russian people have weird taste. It seems they start off doing something that would otherwise be really classy - then finish it off with something that leaves you shaking your head in mild despair at the tackiness of it all.  I present you this as case and proof. http://www.sadanduseless.com/2011/02/awfully-photoshopped-russian-wedding-pictures/

This evening was no exception.

I will spare you the boring bits, but basically I was left sniggering into my scarf at one choice moment when an overweight middle-aged Russian woman dressed as a Flamenco dancer (granted, she was very good), was whirling away in front of a low budget powerpoint presentation that comprised solely of pictures of oranges. Said powerpoint failed on a number of occasions during the evening.

One of the younger dancers kept crashing into the grand piano as they failed to keep formation in the final dance.

Oh Russia, you and your stagecraft!

(On a nerdy note though, it took place near the Finlandsky Vokzal, which is where Lenin made his speech in advance of the October Revolution. This excited me immensely)

No comments:

Post a Comment