IX13 - Top 100 International Exchange and Experience Blogs 2013

About Me

My photo
French and Russian undergraduate student, trying my hand at the real world.

Thursday 9 August 2012

Russian visas!

Hello chaps,

So it's been a while, hasn't it?! I've been busy in all different corners of the country, quite literally. I've been surfing in Cornwall, moved out of my student house and worked on applying to internships for next summer and jobs for this summer - I've not had a day that's been completely empty it seems.

My biggest project and headache of late has been applying for my Russian visa. It is a rather arduous task, but one which must be completed in order to be able to enter the country.
Russian visas are rather particular in their application requirements. I can't really say if it's the same as with other countries, as the only Non-EU country I've ever visited is America, which has a special agreement with the UK regarding visas.

Russian visas require a 'Visa Invitation' to be issued prior to application, which for tourists are sent by the hotel/institution in which the tourist will be staying, so for tourists it's not too complicated.
Student visas, however, require the applicant to take an HIV antibody test and for the test result certificate to be sent alongside the application. This has caused me some problems in my non-London residence, as there is not the provision on the NHS for a test to be carried out for such non-medical reasons. Consequently, I had to make a second trip to London in order to get this rapid-HIV test which caused some annoyance as train fares are not cheap!

I've been unable to get a job this summer too, as it seems employers want to hire people who will stay for longer than 3 months over the summer - which is quite fair enough, I would do the same. It does mean that my financial resources are rather finite, so a £100 visa application, plus a £50 train fare to allow all the parts of the application to be present and correct has made for a rather expensive couple of weeks!

A la prochaine fois!

No comments:

Post a Comment