IX13 - Top 100 International Exchange and Experience Blogs 2013

About Me

My photo
French and Russian undergraduate student, trying my hand at the real world.

Thursday 16 August 2012

A few pre-departure thoughts

Hello chaps,

So my Russian visa has ARRIVED and all is good. It's such a relief after all the stress it caused!

Other news: I've just found out I'm through to the next stage of assessment for a *really important internship*, which, if successful, would potentially land me the job of my dreams. So here's hoping! I'm not going to tell you who it's for though, because I'm superstitious and I don't want to tempt fate. I've been away for a few days having a interview for it, but normal service is now resumed.

I've noticed I'm getting a lot of traffic from some rather diverse sources - so consider this sentence a shout out to all of you who have come across this page from the weird and wonderful far-echelons of teh interwebz. Very pleased to make your acquaintance.

To be honest, the thought of moving to Russia in a little over 2 weeks is the source of one of the biggest freakouts I've ever experienced. I'm planning to go back *home* home just to see everyone before I go just in case I don't make it out alive. No joke. I'm not really sure why - it's fear of the unknown, I guess. Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful for the experience and I plan to make the most of it. I am exceptionally lucky to have this opportunity, plus I did choose the degree with the compulsory year abroad. I could have chosen English studies with NO OPPORTUNITY OF LEAVING THE COUNTRY, which would not have been my cup of tea at all. It's just the fact that there is a part of me, despite everything, that wants to curl up quivering with my face buried in the carpet of the departure lounge and shout "DON'T MAKE ME GO THERE, IT'S TOO SCARY". Fortunately, that part of me emerges only momentarily and is quite easily pacified with chocolate and happy thoughts, as well as the memories of the last time I went to Russia, which was, quite frankly, awesome. But nevertheless, it exists and it will not cease to do so until my time abroad is complete.

There is also a part of me that feels a bit guilty for going. I have loved ones in England who will be made to worry about my not being there, whom I shall miss deeply. Said people are also planning to make the effort to come out and visit me, which is no easy or cheap task - it involves planning, money and time and I feel somewhat responsible for this. I'm not the sort of person who expects things of people - I feel guilty when I have to ask even the smallest favour!

That's all I can think of for now! Do sleduyushevo raza!

No comments:

Post a Comment