IX13 - Top 100 International Exchange and Experience Blogs 2013

About Me

My photo
French and Russian undergraduate student, trying my hand at the real world.

Saturday 15 September 2012

The one where people keep telling me how bad my Russian is

Hello chaps,

Those of you who speak a foreign language: How rude are people about your language skills?

There have been so many incidences of this over the last two weeks. I'm starting to get a bit miffed.

A girl we were talking to said to her friend "They claim to be learning Russian but they don't understand a word I'm saying". ACTUALLY, LOVE, I understood everything you were saying - I'm just slower than you at coming up with a response. Which is funny, really, considering your language has a completely different grammar system, ridiculous vocabulary that is difficult to retrieve at a moment's notice. That and I've only been learning it for two years and I've been in your country for only two weeks out of the last year.

I'm not asking for hero worship here, but it must be considered that a much smaller proportion of English people speak foreign languages than those of other nationalities - where English is not the first language.

English people are notoriously lazy at language learning - everyone speaks English anyway, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment