IX13 - Top 100 International Exchange and Experience Blogs 2013

About Me

My photo
French and Russian undergraduate student, trying my hand at the real world.

Tuesday 5 March 2013

Mistakes made and learned from

Hello chaps,

As is often the case these days, I am suffering a serious blog backlog. In order to overcome this, I have entered myself into a translation competition, which at the moment is killing me more than writing up my overhanging blogs. Funny how procrastination makes you more productive, isn't it?

So today's blogs covers some recent experiences where I have made a bit of a fool of myself, so figured you all could learn from my mistakes. I will also discuss some other people's silliness to make myself feel better. ;)

Episode 1: "Charity" scammers in Tours and Paris.
When a tourist in Paris, do not fall into this trap, as it has the potential for some dire consequences.
I want to make the disclaimer here that not all charity collectors in Paris are scammers - but as with everything, check the legitimacy as far as you can. If they are legitimate, they will show you some actual identification and will not mind doing so, and certainly will not chase you in the Metro.


 I will point out that myself and my companion were even then relatively seasoned travellers, as my companion had spent a year travelling through South and South East Asia, as well as North Africa and Europe. I had spent a month living in Tatarstan and had been to Moscow (and been mugged whilst there - a lesson in itself). We both live in London so are relatively streetwise, yet this still took us by surprise.


The first incidence happened in Paris last summer, when I was there for five days. We were enjoying a walk along the Seine by the Pont Neuf when some children approached us, claiming to be taking people's details for charity donations. The children were claiming to be mute and deaf, so our only communication was through some rather fumbled gesticulation on their part.

Halfway through writing a name down, the police came around the corner in a patrol car, at which point the apparently "mute" child shouted "Polizia!" in a language that was not French. Moreover, it proved that they knew they were not supposed to be doing what they were doing and that the police were well aware of their presence.

This is not the only time I have seen scammers such as this. There was a group of them on Rue Nationale here in Tours for a time (I suspect they have now been removed by some force or another). I saw a group of them chasing tourists in the Metro only on Sunday as I was passing through Paris.

The fact remains that they prey on the goodwill of tourists (in the case of Paris) and the goodwill of passers-by in Tours (there are fewer tourists here). We felt slightly sickened after we almost got taken for a ride ourselves.

A serious point to note here, then. Don't make the same mistake we did - even though we didn't give them our details, you can't be sure what they will do with them if you do.


On a lighter note, I think I have solved the world obesity crisis - replace all chocolates with diabetic Stevia chocolates. I bought some by mistake in Bruges this weekend. I never want to make this mistake again, and therefore feel compelled to warn all of you. They are probably one of the most vile things I have ever eaten; they have a terrible aftertaste and leave you feeling horribly sick afterwards. You'll never want to eat chocolate again - which, if you're trying to kick that chocolate habit once and for all, is probably a bonus. For everyone else, not so much.


A final betise for all of you, which made me chuckle no end.
An Englishman, ordering a "coffee" from the sandwicherie at Gare du Nord, speaks no French.
He returns the coffee, saying "I asked for a coffee, you've given me an Espresso. I want another coffee, with milk, or a refund"
The serveuse responds, "Mais non, monsieur, c'est comme ca, un cafe est un cafe".
"But I asked for a coffee, this is an Espresso, I can't drink this"
"Mais monsieur, c'est la machine, c'est un cafe noir, comme vous m'avez demande"
Englishman grumbles. Abandons "coffee".

I then order my sandwich, in French, pretending not to be English.
The serveuse speaks to me in perfect English.


Oh, France.

No comments:

Post a Comment