IX13 - Top 100 International Exchange and Experience Blogs 2013

About Me

My photo
French and Russian undergraduate student, trying my hand at the real world.

Friday 18 January 2013

An Englishman's Idyll

Hello chaps,

The English are renowned for having a complex love/hate relationship with France. As a nation we complain of their 'rudeness', tendency to go on strike, snobbery and 'lazy' work ethic (they have a legal working week of 35 hours - less than in the UK which is 39 hours).

Yet we admire their food, architecture and, ironically, their relaxed 'mode de vie' - I suspect this comes down to jealousy. Watch any French film and you will see what I am referring to when I say 'mode de vie' - my favourites are Amelie, Conversations with My Gardener and The Grocer's Son. The Grocer's Son is a particular favourite of mine.

One of my favourite books that I have ever stolen off my mother is The Bloody English Women of The Maison Puce, by Jill Laurimore, because it sums up everything that English people love about France. I think it is a common aspiration to one day move to the French countryside and escape all that England threatens us with - and escape from other English people. Alas, the latter is rarely possible - as the book satirises. I have felt this myself, as I was hugely disgruntled in the summer, whilst on holiday in Paris, to discover that no one was French (they were all German or English tourists - I suspect the Parisians had all rather prudently upped and left to escape the mass of holidaymakers descending on their doorsteps) and that no one would speak to me in French - despite the fact I speak it well, albeit with an English accent that I try hard to control. I fully understand the hypocrisy in this - being yet another 'bloody English woman', but nevertheless, I echo the sentiments of Jill Laurimore's main protagonist.

Tours is a wonderful sanctuary away from English. I absolutely am wallowing in the bliss of this. There is comparatively little for tourists around here, despite there being a massive tourist information bureau, which is rather nice - it means I can speak the French I was hoping to, plus more besides. There is a profound novelty in pretending to be French - having a coffee in a cafe and the abundance of boulangeries is making my francophile side jump up and down with glee. I'm sorry, Russia, but shokoladnitsa aint got nothin' on this. I am hugely enjoying the fact I have to cross the Loire to do anything - though I suspect this novelty will wear off as I make my way into 8am lectures. Anyone who knows me will know I am not a morning person, so this will be an interesting part of my year abroad.

I am hugely glad I went to Russia though, as it is making this second half seem so much easier. I am very happy in my own company, which was not the case out there. This city is so warm and inviting, it appears to have a strong community feel to it - very French, very civilised and very nice. I am hugely privileged to be here, frankly, and I can't wait to get stuck in.

I survived sleeping under my coat last night, which wasn't as bad as you might think, but you may take comfort in the fact that I have now bought a blanket and crockery, so I am less of a tramp now!

Also, I have succeeded in making tea without a kettle! There is hope for me yet! (The answer to this one being a microwave. I am a GENIUS)

Oh and while talking to the receptionist today, he at one point said "Are you originally from Russia?" because  I could not stop saying "da" instead of "oui". This must be worked on.

No comments:

Post a Comment